Well even in sunny Brisbane I need the occasional winter warmer recipe that is gluten free and hits the comfort spot, and that’s where my gluten free hearty beef casserole comes in. August is our chilly month, with the winds whipping up the leaves and blowing the wheelie bins over all down the street.
For me, this gluten free hearty beef casserole does the trick, and it’s still super simple for all of us working parents. I tend to make it on a Saturday afternoon, as it does need a bit of cooking time to bring out all the flavours.
The ingredients are all things you will have in the cupboard or can easily grab at the weekly shop. The swede is a great addition and really adds to the hearty aspect, but if you prefer substitute in potato. As for the wine, don’t use your best red, save that for the glass to go with the gluten free hearty beef casserole. Any old red will do the trick, and don’t worry about the alcohol content as that cooks off and you are only left with the flavour part.
Memories of France
One of my favourite reasons for making this dish is the aroma that wafts around the house. It conjures up memories of provincial France, so I often serve this with a gluten free breadstick or even crunchy parmesan crips. Oh yes, and that glass of red, very French indeed.
Gluten Free Hearty Beef Casserole Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
1.2 kg diced beef
6 pieces gluten-free shortcut bacon
1/2 cup Melinda’s Gluten-Free Self Raising Flour
1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
1 teaspoon paprika
400g tin crushed tomatoes
2 cups of vegetable stock
4 celery sticks
2/3 cup red wine
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine flour, herbs, paprika, pepper and salt.
3. Toss diced beef through the flour mix. Shake off excess and reserve remaining flour.
4. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Cook diced bacon and onions until browned. Set aside.
5. Cook meat in batches until browned. Set aside.
6. Place the bacon, onion and beef into a casserole dish. Add tomatoes and stock.
7. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes.
8. Dice carrots, celery and the swede. Add to the casserole dish.
9. Mix the wine and remaining flour and stir into beef mixture.
10. Cover, return to oven. Bake for another 40 minutes.
11. Stir in the sliced zucchini and bake for a final 20 minutes.